Hi Everyone! Firstly, for anyone who has tried to get me through email@example.com and didn't get a reply - we had a problem which is now fixed! I'm terribly sorry if you have been accidentally ignored; please resend for a prompt response because normally I'm responding to my emails at 5:30 every morning and then throughout the day.
Now onto other fixes - namely shuttle bobbins. As you might know I am frugal to a fault so when I needed more bobbins I looked to using straws as a solution. But in using those straws I found that over the project they started to hang up at the back of the shuttle pin where it is flanged. Pawing through all the bits boxes I found this little rubber do-hickey that did just the trick so here's some pictures of my fix for a fix!
The black rubbery ring is a grommet of some kind and I cut it with the serrated bread knife to shorten it to the right length. I'd think you could come up with something similar from the hardware store. So if you're find that suddenly the bobbin/quill isn't feeding smoothly and freely look to see if it's hanging up at the back. Hope this saves someone frustration.